Saturday, May 5, 2012

   Ok..won't lie,  I've had a difficult time wrapping my brain around this whole "low carb" thing.  Spent my life hearing I was "chubby" , being told to get off my butt and get out and get some exercise.  (by the way..did that,  rode my bike for miles 4-5 x /week but that's another piece of cheesecake,  I mean protein bar)  Anyway,  then became a nurse, a CARDIAC nurse to boot!  See, we're programmed to tell patients that "low fat, low cholesterol" is the way to go.  And I won't lie..even though I was sportin' love handles myself I had the gall to tell pt's "you need to eat better, lose weight and exercise more."  talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!  But I just didn't preach it, I tried to live it,  fat free milk,  high fiber bread, don't deep fry, use olive oil, exercise 3x/week, eat 3-5 servings of fruit/veggies  ect.  And I tried to get my family to as well and yet we STILL gained weight and then my sweet hubby had a heart attack at age 42.  Devestating... what had I done wrong..why didn't my "preaching" work? 
   Then about 3 months ago a gal I work with launched her own low carb journey and all I heard was "blah blah carbs blah blah ect....."  I was sooooooo tired of it, I won't lie  (sorry skinny bitch)  but then I mentioned it to my family did we want to try it?  could we do it?    and we did it as well, the 3 of us.  (in a small family it's either all or nothing...)
   Best damn thing we've ever done...I'm serious!  And those of you that know me know I'm not easily swayed..I have to have proof, evidence and it still seems to have to be my "idea" ya know? 
   Let me tell you what I've noticed different
1.lighter...I mean I feel lighter...like I'm lighter on my feet, can move easier and WANT to as well.
 2. More energy..ya, a nap still sounds good at times, but nothing like before...like able to multitask like I used to and not have scrambled egg brain...feel frustrated and then give up brain but TRUELY organized...oh ya baby!!
3. No desire for carbs...NONE, I'm serious and I promise..  I sat close enough to "smell" the tray full of sopapillas at lunch on Thursday and not even...a...bit...of temptation!  Normally would've eaten 2 then at lunch and come back later in the day for a 3rd..(p.s.  almost hit 33 instead, no, I wouldn't eat 33, at least not all at once...;-)
4.  and..drum roll please.... combined , the fam has dropped 5 inches on waists and 23 lbs!  and it's only been about 3 weeks!  I've gotten rid of everything carb..pasta, rice, baking material ect.. and it's ok.  I mean it.  It's amazing...because I think I was born eating carbs, my mother passed on to me her "amazing" ability to make killer sweets and I've never been the same since.  But now..I don't even really think about it, it seems as if there has been a switch flipped in my brain....and on that note..my brain is tired...zzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment